Last week was spring break #1 for me in honor of Semana Santa (the week before Easter, which is a big deal here; significance and traditions to be explained in the next post). Instead of going home like I would in a regular semester, my family came to visit me. (Or at least that's what they claimed. I say it was a convenient excuse to vacation in Europe.) I first went to Madrid with a couple of friends for two days, then my family arrived and I spent two more days sightseeing in Madrid with them. Then I returned to Sevilla with them, where I spent the last three days showing them my hood, with a day-trip to Cordoba snuck in. It was absolutely incredible spending a solid week with my family, rediscovering what it's like to go on a family vacation after so many years, taking the driver's seat for the first time, remembering all the little ways we get on each others' nerves, and still loving every moment. But first things first...
Weekend: To the capital with friends
The adventure started last Friday morning when my friends, Laura and Meredith, and I took the 6-hour bus ride to Madrid. Upon arrival, we walked the 40 minutes to our hostel. I have found this period- between the moment you arrive at your destination and the moment you find your hotel/hostel- to be the most terrifying part of traveling, because there is always that fear that the hostel (or your reservation) doesn't exist, thus leaving you homeless for your vacation. But when we found Way Hostel, we were not only relieved but elated. Having never stayed at a hostel before, I only had a vague expectation of 20 bunk-beds in a dark, desolate room and germ-infested dorm-style bathrooms. Instead, we had a room to ourselves, a bathroom to ourselves, access to a cute little kitchen fully equipped with dishes and cutlery from Ikea, and access to three computers with internet. My only fear is that every subsequent hostel I stay at will be a huge disappointment.
After being herded out of the Thyssen at 7 PM sharp, we decided to take a walking tour around the city. Led by Laura's guidebook, we hit almost every major plaza and puerta (literally means "door" or "gate," but think more like the Arc de Triomphe or India Gate) and parque (park) in Madrid. It was so cold that I was forced to put on my gloves, which is never a good thing and especially not on "spring break" in Spain, but we managed to have a good time marveling at all kinds of architectural wonders and countless statues of men on horses through the shivering.
Thoroughly impressed and frozen, we returned to our hostel to sleep (or attempt to sleep, in Meredith and Laura's case).
The next morning, after enjoying the hostel's typical Spanish breakfast (carbs, carbs, and more carbs, but with Nutella and Cola Cao, so who's complaining?), we trekked over to the Temple of Debod, which is an authentic Egyptian temple from the 2nd century B.C.. What's is doing in Madrid? Well, it was a gift from the Egyptian government to Spain in 1968 as thanks for Spain's aid in saving monuments that were at risk of being destroyed when the Aswan Dam was constructed in 1960. I didn't know countries were in the habit of donating their historic monuments ("Eh, we've had this lying around for a while, let's re-gift it to Spain") but hey, I got to see a 2,200-year-old Egyptian temple without setting foot in Egypt, so that's cool!
Next stop: the cathedral. Now, I have seen more than my fair share of cathedrals in my two months in Spain and I actually thought about skipping this one because I figured I had a pretty good idea of what it would look like without stepping a foot inside: a large central altar prominently featuring Jesus on the cross, gaudy retablos covered in gold-leaf depicting scenes from the Bible surrounding it, dozens of chapels around the perimeter dedicated to different saints, a couple insanely large organs, stained-glass windows, Gothic architecture, a strong Mary motif, and enough angels to make your head spin. (There, now you don't have to visit Spain.) Luckily, my friends convinced me that the Catedral de la Almudena was a must-see, and as soon as I stepped in, I knew why. For one, we could go up close to the main altar instead of being blocked off a mile away. Second, the ceilings were bursting with patterns and portraits so colorful and unrealistic they looked like modern art. Third, the little chapels around the cathedral had artistic depictions of various saints, as expected, but in all different media (everything from wooden carvings to tapestries to paintings of various styles) instead of all having the same traditional statues. As we walked around to the different chapels, I asked my friends (both Catholics who attended Catholic school) some questions about Catholicism and discovered many fascinating similarities between Catholicism and Hinduism.
After the cathedral and several interesting discoveries (both Hinduism and Catholicism utilize rosaries but with different numbers of beads, Laura used to make up sins for confession when she was younger), we cut through Plaza Mayor on our way back to the hostel for lunch. This time, the plaza was bustling with people eating lunch at the surrounding restaurants, your standard street performers (musicians, caricaturists, people pretending to be statues), and your not-so-standard street performers (headless men, Winnie the Pooh, pirates, bullfighters, Mickey and Minnie Mouse, and my personal favorite, obese ghetto Spiderman). It was like Disney World gone terribly wrong.
After four hours in the Prado, we were hungry and exhausted, so we had dinner at a restaurant and turned in early for the night.
The next morning, we set off for the Palacio Real. The third greatest palace in Europe, the Palacio Real was constructed in just 26 years beginning in 1737. There are over 2,000 rooms, but only 20-some are open to the public. Nowadays, the royal family doesn't live there (they live in a smaller palace just outside of Madrid) but the palace is still used for state functions like banquets and receptions of visiting heads of state. The palace is really impossible to describe, but I'll give it a shot: a banquet hall seating 80 people at one table; a room in which the walls and ceiling are decorated entirely in porcelain; ridiculously gaudy chandeliers in every room; carpets that match the upholstery that matches the cloth covering the walls that matches the cloth by which the chandeliers appear to hang; a room reeking with rich red velvet in which the golden thrones are located; clocks everywhere; a room in which the royal family's China and crystal and silver-ware are on display; tabletop decorations so intricate they look painted but are actually mini-mosaics; every corner of every room elaborately adorned. But like I said, the gushing gaudiness of the place can't accurately be put into words, so I suggest you go see it for yourself.
After the Palacio Real, we decided to check out the Rastro, Madrid's weekly open-air flea market. As I've found to be quite common in Spanish cities, there was an abundance of Indian tapestries and handicrafts for sale, along with some other interesting odds and ends.
From the Rastro, we headed to Madrid's famous Retiro Park. The sun had finally decided to smile upon us, and we took advantage of this fact to sprawl out on a small patch of the 350-acre park and enjoy yet another PB&J lunch.
Laura and Meredith left for
Around 7:30, I figured I should start heading to the hotel where I would meet my parents. Googlemaps said it would be a 15 minute drive or a 1.5 hour walk. (Don’t ask me why I still use Googlemaps after the
It did take me about 2 hours, and it was almost dark by the time I found the hotel. I had to ask 2 people (elderly women or couples only) for help, and at one point I must have looked pretty desperate because one lady asked me if I needed help. I learned that what looks like a regular intersection on a map might actually be a bridge passing over another road, thus making it impossible to recognize or stand at said “intersection.” But I also learned that the people of
When I finally found the hotel, I was able to check into the room using my dad’s name (highly unsafe but convenient). To get my mind off of the anticipation of seeing my family for the first time in over two months, I watched a documentary about Sevilla on TV (and realized I have developed a strong sense of Sevilla pride) and talked to my aunt who happened to call at the perfect time. No more than two minutes after I hung up with my aunt, I heard a knock on the door and- there they were! My sister was still shorter than me, my dad still hadn't lost so much weight he was unrecognizable, my mom immediately panicked when I told her I walked to the hotel alone... there they were, the way I left them and the way I like them. :)
Monday: Initiation to walking boot-camp
To be fair, I had warned my family to come prepared to walk a lot. Apparently, their definition of “a lot” doesn’t even scratch the surface of mine. After a good night’s sleep (they suffered little to no jet lag, amazingly), we started the day off by taking a bus to
After the cathedral, we tried to see the
For their first proper meal in
Finding the main Spanish dishes sub-satisfactory, we took up the habit of “tea time” (more like “sweet time”) at a local cafetería or chocolatería for the rest of the week. Thrice we indulged in churros con chocolate. Once we tried torrijas, a sweet typically eaten in Sevilla during Semana Santa that tastes like French toast covered in honey. (God, I miss French toast.) Another day, we had Moroccan tea and Arabic sweets after lunch at a Moroccan restaurant in Córdoba. A couple times we tried bollos, your standard pastries filled with cream and chocolate. It was far more than the recommended intake of sugar and calories for a week, but it was heavenly and I rationalized it by telling myself it was like cramming an entire semester’s worth of sweets into one week, since I never eat anything sugary on a daily basis here.
After my parents’ and sister’s first churros con chocolate experience (enjoyed by all, but mostly by my mother because the churros reminded her of పునుగులు, a salty fried-dough snack), we headed to the Reina Sofia Museum of 20th century art. I didn’t think my family, or myself for that matter, would be big aficionados of contemporary art, but the Reina Sofia is free for a couple hours at the end of the day so we had nothing to lose, and to be honest, I wanted to hit all three of the museums that comprise the Golden Triangle of Art in
A "work of art" in the Reina Sofia entitled "Circulation." It's plastic tubing arranged on the floor, and a machine pumps a colored liquid through it. Enough said.
A piece by Dali. I kind of understood it, so I took a picture.
Already put-off by Spanish cuisine less than 24 hours after their arrival, we found a nice little Thai restaurant for dinner. After dinner, Nana was limping, Amma and Vidya were complaining, and I was feeling awful for putting my family through torture, and on the first day of their vacation at that. Nobody was in the mood to explore Madrid at night as I had originally planned, so we caught the next bus to our hotel and collapsed onto our beds for a good night's sleep.
Tuesday: Suffering the consequences of Day 1, but persisting like troopers
On Tuesday morning, we had a difficult decision to make: Palacio Real,
Following the Palacio Real, we caught a taxi to the Prado, where there was a lengthy line, but we jumped in and moved right along in time to spend a couple hours there. This time, we knew we wouldn't have time to leisurely see everything or even any appreciable percentage of the works, so we took a different approach: the masterpiece scavenger hunt. Guided by the pamphlet, we literally dashed from room to room finding masterpieces, admiring them for a few seconds, and checking them off on our pamphlet. I know, we are so classy.
After another round of churros con chocolate, we parted ways- me to the bus station, and the rest of the family to the airport.
After a 40-minute walk to the bus station, a 30-minute wait for the bus, and a 6-hour bus ride sitting next to the most annoying bus-mate imaginable (she slept for the first half but around 9 PM, when we rest of the passengers were trying to sleep, decided to pull out her phone and talk, or perhaps recite a monologue, at maximum volume in some Asian language) I was itching to be back in good old Sevilla. Seeing the river still there, passing familiar landmarks, crossing the Puente de San Telmo, I realized that there’s nothing like returning from a trip to convince you that your new residence is starting to feel like home.
Up next: Semana Santa, Part 2: In Andalucia
1) try puerta del sol on new year's eve when, after the fireworks, everyone wants tramples over each other in an attempt to leave. i actually stayed in a hostel right in the heart of it, and it was NUTS
ReplyDelete2) at the prado, did you see Hieronymus Bosch's "Garden of Earthly Delights?" it's in the basement level, and a lot of people miss it. It's one of my favorite paintings. On an interesting note, i have to tell you about a "friend" of mine that stole a bunch of booklets from the prado.
3) I've eaten at museo del jamon, and it's not that good. The corte ingles you took a photo of looks familiar (although they always look alike), did you take that picture somewhere in madrid?
Loved the detailed narration!! Since we were part of the story this time - I can attest to the rest of the blog readers that you did'nt miss a single detail, or monument or plaza or statue of a "Carlos on a horse".
ReplyDeleteKeeping my fingers crossed about Part2.. Cant' wait to see how it turns out (-: (-:
-Nana
hahaha obese ghetto spiderman. aw everything sounds exciting ramya! and gotta love our desi families :)
ReplyDelete- Arthi
shorter than you?! i beg to differ!
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like such a great vacation! And it must have been so much fun to be the knowledgeable tour guide when your family came, haha. You seem to have sightseeing down to a perfected art.
ReplyDeleteAlso, just based on all your blog posts... you are a great writer.
And I am totally jealous that you and Silpa got to hang out together in Madrid.
~Natania
You were the best tour-guide ever!!
ReplyDeletelol...family vacations talking about extravagance of kings. i think i've been through that but while sitting at home watching a documentary on british royalty. lol.
ReplyDelete