Having spent the last three and a half weeks at home mostly stuffing my face and watching a mind-boggling number of movies, I have had plenty of time to grow anxious. Since I can't actually get to Sevilla any sooner, I decided to do the next best thing and write to everyone I know about how I can't wait to get to Sevilla. Just kidding. Sort of. I have created this weblog as a way for my family and friends to know what I'm up to, and more importantly, that I'm alive, for the next four months. While I will have internet access at the study center where I'll be taking classes, the fact that the study center is only open during certain hours, along with the time difference (6 hours between Spain and Eastern Standard Time), may make individual communication (long facebook messages, e-mails, Skype sessions) difficult. And while I will probably purchase a cell phone in Spain, it will only be for brief local use, the occassional phone call home, and emergencies. In light of these obstacles, I will do my best to update this blog regularly as a means of communicating with my large fan base. (If you're lucky, there may even be pictures, but please, no autographs.)
For now, I'll just share a few lists I've made regarding my trip...
Things I want to do while abroad:
- See a bullfight
- See a professional soccer match
- See a Flamenco show
- See a Spanish movie in a movie theater
- Visit the African continent
- Go on a tapas crawl (eating tapas, or snack-sized portions of food, from several tapas bars in one night)
- Go to a beach
- Become conversationally fluent in Spanish
- Finding vegetarian food that is varied and substantial enough. (But shhh, don't mention this to my grandparents or great-grandparents, or they will insist that I take a suitcase full of Indian munchies from home.)
- Finding a balance between seeing/doing everything I want to and not going broke.
- Finding a balance between enjoying myself and being appropriately paranoid about pickpockets and other shady characters.
- Feeling overwhelmed by all the Spanish around me and frustrated by my inability to communicate perfectly in Spanish (at least for the first few weeks).
I'd like to end this first blog post with a big "thank you" to my parents- for allowing me to step outside their comfort zone and study abroad; for encouraging me enough to keep me adventurous and stifling me enough to keep me safe; for being my lifelong cheerleaders, and now, my only guaranteed blog-readers.
Great start of the new blog!!
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to frequent and detailed updates with lots of photos..
Te deseo lo mejor. Ojala que disfrutes mucho en Sevilla
-Nana
You can add me to your list of guaranteed blog-readers! I hope you have an awesome time in Spain!!
ReplyDelete~Natania
PS keep an eye on the mail....;)
Wish you all the best!! Hope you have a wonderful time in Seville.
ReplyDeleteAmma
Very nice. Can't wait till you leave :P
ReplyDeleteBut, in all seriousness, have fun, i'll miss you, and don't go to any nude beaches.
<3 :)
ReplyDeleteHope you have an awesome, awesome time!
if you give us an address, can we mail you things?
ReplyDeleteLove the blog!!
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm with you 100% on the shoes thing. I'm bringing three pairs, zero of which are cute.